Here you find thirteen posters dealing with Gaia and Astrometry, ready to be printed in high resolution. These posters were produced by collegues from Barcelona, Dresden and Heidelberg: http://gaia.geo.tu-dresden.de/GaiaPosters/
Find our locally produced videos for outreach on Gaia and astronomy here.
Gaia - ESA's galactic census - Copyright ESA
The Little Books of Gaia:
The little books of Gaia provide short summaries of the Gaia mission on A4 sized pages which can be foldet to little booklets.
- TALES OF THE UNIVERSE: An introduction to astronomy for children (and the young at heart!)
- HISTORY OF ASTROMETRY: From Hipparchus to Gaia:What is astrometry? Why do we want to measure the distances to the stars? What techniques have astronomers used for this?
- THE GALAXY IN WHICH WE LIVE:How Gaia will revolutionise our understanding of astronomy and, in particular, how it will reveal the origin and evolution of our Milky Way Galaxy.
- A 3-D TOUR OF OUR GALAXY: A three-dimensional journey to well-known stars and clusters in our Galaxy.
- EVERYTHING YOU EVER WANTED TO KNOW ABOUT GAIA!: An answer to all those questions about Gaia that you wanted to ask.
- THE SEARCH FOR PLANETS: Gaia will find enormous numbers of other planets outside our Solar System. This booklet explains how.
These books were produced by A. Colorado-McEvoy..
Here you find folding instructions.
A very comprehensive series of two articles (in German), written by Ulrich Bastian from the Astronomisches Rechen-Institut at the Zentrum für Astronomie der Universität Heidelberg, was published by the German Astronomy magazine "Sterne und Weltraum". The articles can be downloaded for free:
- Projekt Gaia - Die sechsdimensionale Milchstraße (Part 1)
- Projekt Gaia - Die sechsdimensionale Milchstraße (Part 2)
Friedrich Wilhelm Bessel determined the first parallax measurement of a star.
The digital scans of the pages of the original paper in "Astronomische Nachrichten" of 1838 is shown here.